Which language should I pursue at University: French or Arabic

Hi, I’m about to start college and want to begin learning a language as soon as I get begin each semester for the next four years. I also plan on studying abroad for at least a semester or summer in a country where the language is prominent. My question is which language should I learn, French or Modern Standard Arabic.

Career Plans: I want to work for the state department, maybe within the UN, or The World Bank. I’m interested in economic development of African and Middle Eastern countries. I would like to live in the US: DC or NYC, but am open to living abroad, depending on the country. I know with the state department I’ll have very little wiggle room choosing where to live but I’d still like to intern there and keep my options open. I also know they offer a scholarship for Graduate school and guaranteed employment after successful graduation.

Background: I understand and can speak Urdu but don’t want to pursue a career in Asia. I also took Spanish for 7 years at school, but unfortunately I never really applied myself and can only speak and understand basic Spanish. Unrelated, but I look Middle Eastern, so people tell me by pursing Arabic I’ll be able to fit in easier with the speakers vs French. I can read Arabic written in the Quran. I’m very familiar with Islam and Christianity (specifically Catholiscm) I’d love to pick Arabic over French bc culturally It’d be a better fit, but I’m not sure about Modern Standard Arabic. I know many locals don’t really speak it, and overall there are too many dialects of Arab. I wouldn’t even be able to understand the Quran bc that’s written in Classical Arabic. I don’t want to limit myself to Egyptian dialect because down the road I might I want to live in Jordan. I don’t feel like it’s as practical as French. That’s the same wherever you go and people in Morocco and Lebabnon speak it. If I can’t live in the US, places like France and Belgium seem like good options too.

Also, I might even change my mind career wise. I’m also interested in Journalism. Long term what would benefit me more: French or Arabic even if I don’t pursue a career in foreign service. I know the US government even pays for Arabic study abroad in Jordan and Morocco, but I’m more concerned about my future quality of life.

submitted by /u/Mi1kShaikh
[link] [comments]

from Dia dhaoibh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2VK7fzG
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments