Thai and Vietnamese, which one should be easier for a native Mandarin speaker to learn?

Hello, r/languagelearning, I have a question about whether to learn Thai or Vietnamese as the main foreign language I'm trying to learn. I know both of these are analytical and tonal languages, close to Mandarin, so I feel rather comfortable with both at this point. Here are some pros and cons from my perspective.

I love Thai culture, such as food, movies, TV, and I'm sure I'll visit Thailand someday. However, Thai uses a writing system that's very different from Mandarin. I'm afraid learning the system is gonna take lots of work, and it's said to be particularly harder for foreign learners, because you can barely see any punctuation in Thai. It's tonal like Mandarin

Vietnamese: It uses the alphabet as its writing system, which can unburden me from having to learn an unfamiliar writing system, and I'm also sure I'll like theVietnamese culture if I start getting in touch with it. It's also tonal like Mandarin.

Which one would you chose for me? Thanks!

submitted by /u/descret
[link] [comments]

from Jó napot kívánok| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2FFTGfp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments