Bambara Speaker here

Ive been a lurker on this sub for a while and I had seen topics about the "Bambara" language and I was not able to comment on them because they were locked. This is a recent post that I had seen but was not able to comment on it. https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/829ua9/any_bambara_speakers_here/

I am from Burkina Faso and I speak Dioula and Bambara. The Bambara language is spoken in Mali and comes from the mande language family. It is spoken In west Africa by many. Some would say Dioula and Bambara Is the same language but they have a difference but it is mutually intelligible with Bambara and we will still understand each other. If I was to put it in an example, Dioula would be like British English and Bambara would be the English that is spoken in America but we still understand each other.

Now to answer the thread above. "

I'd like to get myself conversational in Bambara for travel purposes. I'm happy to see that both the FSI and the Peace Corps offer free resources, which is encouraging. I'd just like to hear from someone who has learned a Bambara dialect. Is it a difficult language overall? What's the hardest part? What's your favorite part? Are localized dialects a big problem for comprehension?

I've taught myself in other African languages, but this will be my first experience with the Niger-Congo family."

A:" No not at all well for me It was not because I was born in the household for the language. Nobody ever sat down and taught us it. As a baby we learned it by listening. My Aunt is from Mali she speaks Bambara and spoke to us in Bambara when we were young so we caught on. My parents are from Burkina Faso and they speak Dioula. Growing up with them I learned Bambara and Dioula, I also can speak Moore which is only spoken In Burkina faso. It is not a hard langague and is simple compared to langauges like Wolof and Soninke. One of the hardest part is that some words do not exist In the language that for example exist in English so translating for people can be difficult. "Left" and "Right" do not even exist in the language so we switch to french to say left and right. The local dialects are not always a problem but there are differences. For example the langague changes a bit as you go up north. I can understand people from Bamako Mali easily and the thing we can identify were a person is from by the way they speak Bambara or Dioula. We can tell if you are from Mali, Ivory coast, Burkian faso or Guinea. I remember when I was younger I said " E bolo de yan" which is give me your hand. Then I was scolded by my mother because bolo means private part in other parts and it means hand, so you must know who you are talking to because you can curse and offend people without intention. tɛgɛ is hand In Bambra. What I also love about this language is you can understand soninke and malinke a little because we do use the same words sometimes, they are from the same family. I really love the music I learn to Oumou Sangare and Sidiki Diabate

This is my favorite song by Sidiki and Oumou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1PM5E-YOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9fFuNFNw

Resoruces I would recommend to learn the language

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linguarena.bambara&hl=en_US

IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/learn-bambara-with-linguarena/id1071617711?mt=8

Memrise has courses that that teach bambara https://www.memrise.com/course/500716/basic-bambara/1/?action=prev

submitted by /u/SKY-911-
[link] [comments]

from Jó napot kívánok| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2D8Qi9D
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments

  1. I learned Bambara many years ago and spoke it reasonably well for a while (for a toubab!) but it's hard to get back now. The Malian daughter of an old friend has left me a whatsapp voice message that I can't really understand, is someone here able to help me translate it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment