Is it possible to forget a foreign language you use every day?

Hi everybody! I studied languages all my life (English since I was 11, German since I was 16). I also studied Foreign Languages at University, and I've been living in Germany since April 2016. My German has always been worse than my English -and that's the reason why I decided to move to Germany after I got my bachelor. It would be a lie to say that my level hasn't improved since I'm here. Still, it's still problematic for me to clearly express what I want to say without stuttering, or stopping mid-sentence because I can't remember a word. Recently I had to move from Saxony to Sachsen-Anhalt. New job, new home, new everything, in a little more than a month. In between, I also went 10 days to my home country, to visit my family and friends. This month has been really stressful for me. But what really bothers me is that since I am here speaking has become more difficult for me. Sometimes people have to ask me to repeat the sentence to understand what I said. Not only at home, but even at work. And I stutter even more. As a former language student, and as a person who used to really love the language (now I don't know what to think anymore) it's really killing my self esteem. Could the difference in dialect be a reason for this situation? What should I do?

submitted by /u/ScarletBW89
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2NrLKNm
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments