Relearning a language after years of disuse? Dual Immersion Bilinguality

Hello,

​

I am a native English speaker that had Spanish immersion from age 4-10 and supplemental classes from 10-16. I then took Latin for my final 2 years of high school in the US.

Regarding the immersion program in my elementary and preschools, it was a system initially designed to teach native Spanish speakers' children how to become the native English speakers that their first-generation parents were unable to reach. The schools taught half of its classes in English and half in Spanish, alternating daily, and it was about a 25-75 split between whether a conversation would be held in either Spanish or English respectively outside of lessons. I remember dreaming in Spanish and having my inner monologue switch languages based on the context of an activity.

​

But now after many years of speaking English almost exclusively, I've found that I've fallen to a borderline B1-B2 when having to produce my own Spanish spontaneously. Comprehension-wise, I still am able to understand the majority of a conversation between friends, and can read Spanish more easily than I can listen.

​

I've set my phone and computer to Spanish as their default language, and insist on watching at least 1 Spanish YouTube video for every English video that I watch, but when I am put on the spot, I get anxious and none of it comes back to me. What should I do?

submitted by /u/BillNyeTheBelgianSpy
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2OmZg9w
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments