How do you feel about not aiming for fluency? (stopping at A2/B1)

Sorry if this topic has been posted before!

I'm the kind of person who mostly just learns languages for fun. I don't really ever expect to reach true fluency in the languages I do study -- and that's okay with me.

Rather than achieving true fluency in a small set of languages, I'm much more interested in reaching the A2/B1 (or B1/B2 if I'm being optimistic) level in a much larger set of languages. I would love to be able to understand the basics of many languages, so that if I ever encounter them "in the wild" I might have some idea of at least the general gist of what's being communicated. This also stems from the fact that there are so many languages I'm interested in learning, and given that I don't have the time or resources to commit enough effort into my studies, I know that becoming fluent in all of them would be a pipedream.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has a similar goal in mind, or if any more experienced language learners think this goal is a good or a bad one. In the end, language learning is mostly just a hobby for me, so either way I'm fairly satisfied. I'm already much more proficient in languages than most people are in the part of the world I'm from, so that's definitely a satisfying feeling in itself. Plus studying language has taught me so much about the grammatical structure and semantics of English that that in itself makes it worth it.

submitted by /u/pootsmcgoots23
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2xmXPyc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments