Exchange student in Berlin with big regrets my B1 German didn't improve over last 5 months - but still have 6.5 weeks. How can I make the most of this time and improve as much as I can?

I am an exchange student currently living in Berlin. I arrived in early March with a B1 level…and in 2 days it will be August and I am still B1 and haven’t improved one bit. I and am starting to feel really depressed and angry at myself because I go home in 6.5 weeks having made no progress with my German.

It is my own fault - I got sucked into the exchange student bubble and just spoke English all the time (I went with it because I wanted friends and to not be lonely), and only had a really chilled 3 hour a week class with the University which did nothing to help me improve (it was good int hat it wasn’t stressful during semester when I had tons of work, but I regret nothing improved over the 3.5 months). And as embarrassed as I am to admit this, I spent too much time crying over a relationship that ended at the end of May - and 3/4 the relationship was drama and crying. It was such a stupid situation and now that idiot guy is basically “my Berlin experience” and not improved German. I feel like I had a huge opportunity to improve my language skills and wasted it.

But I still have 6.5 weeks left here, which......is hopefully enough to still get somewhere and leave Berlin with better German than I arrived with. My friends have all gone home so I have the time to dedicate to improving my German. I am trying to be realistic so am not expecting to go from B1 to C2 in a few weeks, but I like to think I can still improve and not leave with a wasted experience, but I just don't know the best way to go about it. Maybe, *maybe* get myself to B2 with intensive study would be cool but any improvement would be great.

Can anyone give some tips or suggestions on how to improve German quickly when you are in the country for a few weeks. I was thinking of maybe doing an intensive course (one of the 3 hour a day 4 days a week ones) since I have the financial resources, but am open to ideas. And is there anything I should take back to help me with my learning at home - certain books or what not? I have a one year break between going back for my masters and won't have German lessons in this time and want to continue self studying.

Vielen Dank to anyone who can give me some advice, I really want to try and turn things around as much as I can.

submitted by /u/regretfulinberlin
[link] [comments]

from Cześć | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LBTRur
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments