What is the best way to fully immerse yourself in a language when you are abroad?

Hello everyone!

I know that this may sound like a stupid question but I am currently studying abroad for around 6 months and I am trying to learn the local language. All of my classes are in the local language but I feel like that is all the exposure I am really getting to the language. Obviously, there are much smaller interactions that I have had, usually just in shops etc. but I really don't feel like I am using it that much because I am in such an international and multicultural place.

I have read a few articles that say when you are abroad that you should watch local news/TV and things like that but I know really know where to get access to all of these. Plus, most of the time if I am to watch anything it would be Youtube. I know that there will be a lot out there on Youtube for me to watch but I tend to just watch stuff in English at the moment as a kind of safety net, which I am aware is not really a good habit to have if I want to improve my language skills. So, I am going to continue working on that.

So yeah, I would just like to know if anyone could give me some advice on how to best improve while I am here please? As I would like to make the most out of this experience and learn as much of the language as possible because people always recommend to go to a country where the language is spoken and it is made out like that is the key to learning the language, but I am finding it a bit harder to actually use the language. I know that there is probably a lot that I could do, but I don't really know where to start as I am just a bit overwhelmed with it all because I have only just recently arrived here.

I hope this all makes sense and any advice would truly be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

(Just a bit of added information: (TL) = French and (NL) = English)

submitted by /u/Lazy-Profession-1594
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/0zL3WGH
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments