Paranoia about speaking because of tones (Mandarin)

You can't improve speaking without speaking. I get that.

I've been practicing Mandarin (TL) for less than a year. I'm sure I sound like an absolute idiot. But at least, that's to an app.

The reason I'm fearful of trying to speak to people is tones change the meaning of what you're saying and I'm not looking to get my teeth knocked out of my skull because I mistakenly told someone I'd do inappropriate things to their family when I just wanted directions to a fruit stand.

And yes, I practice tones. Which is why this fear exists. And even if I gather the right tones, words, and form the sentence correctly in my head, that doesn't mean that's what comes out of my mouth.

Is there a low-stakes way to practice speaking outside of an app?

submitted by /u/-AprilRose
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/08pvlBV
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments