Learning to love learning again

I have been trying to learn Korean on and off for about 4 years now and have gotten nowhere so I decided to try something new : learn a language out of spite just to prove to myself that I can. And I will be learning Japanese.

For context I am the kind of person who NEVER finishes what I started, and I mean it. I stay stuck in the planning phase and then, when things don't go as planned, I give up. And people who are like me will understand that it is tiring because I end up hating something I used to love : learning languages.

My native language is French but I learned English pretty easily since I was consuming it all the time and I love this language with all my heart. But now that I want to learn other languages I always end up running into the wall of my own inconsistency. But thankfully, after failing to learn 3 languages now (Spanish in school, Dutch in university and Korean in my own time) I know my weaknesses and I will plan accordingly.

Of course, I know learning a language that I don't have a specific attachment to is not the best idea but it is the whole point. I want to push myself, I want to learn to love learning again and if I can't do it the "normal" way I will do it purely out of spite because at least I am good at that.

I decided to post here because this will be my journey of getting back to learning languages. This isn't really about a specific language but more about founding a way that works for me and I will post updates to keep myself accountable in a way even if nobody sees it.

First goal : spending the weekend planning. I will have this weekend, and this weekend only, to find resources, community, and content I enjoy in my target language (TL). I will try to create a study plan dedicated to me and make is as fun as possible, I will try to surround myself with other people learning Japanese and build realistic goals to push myself to keep going.

This is my last attempt at proving to myself that I can do anything I set my mind to and I plan on getting to the end of it. I hope other people will resonate with my situation and the problems I've been having so far. So good luck to myself and all the people who are on equally weird journeys ! We can do it !

submitted by /u/MathematicianOne8212
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/YVjUPeO
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments