I feel like extensive reading sets you up for a headache down the line

Hello. So I'm on book/novel #16 in my TL. I would say I'm at the B range since I'm reading Harry Potter 3.

At first I was really enjoying the progress. I'd see myself look up fewer and fewer words as I progress through the series. But then I started to notice that while I know enough to understand the sentence, I don't know exactly what every word means.

After encountering a word several times you get the meaning through context, but in my experience my understanding is only fuzzy. I couldn't tell you exactly what the word means.

Like I could read and understand these 2 sentences:

The dog sank his teeth into the meat
The dog planted his teeth into the meat

I know what's going on, but wouldn't be able to narrow down what exactly those two words mean. And I feel like with extensive reading you can be like that with hundreds or thousands of words.

Can someone with experience tell me what happens if I keep going? Like say I'm at book 60, would I have encountered these fuzzy words so many times and in so many different angles and perspectives that I would get the precise meaning down eventually? Or do you need to rely on intensive reading for that precision?

Any input would be appreciated, especially personal experiences.

submitted by /u/Ok-Construction-3273
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/92BNxgP
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments