How to practice listening

I'm learning Japanese and up until now I have been focused on reading but now I would like to work on my listening skills. My intermediate goal would be watching anime or movies without subs but ideally I want to listen to audiobooks. But right now my listening comprehension is sooooo far below my reading level that I feel like a complete beginner. Does anyone have any tips on how to study listening?

I have tried listening to podcasts for beginners and I can follow them pretty well but they are kinda boring and I don't feel like I get a lot of value for my time. Intermediate podcasts are almost incomprehensible, not to mention boring. If I'm going to have to spend a lot of time repeatedly listening I would prefer to pick something I enjoy.

So I have picked a book I read recently and will skim a page, listen to it, listen while reading and then listen again. I've only been doing this for a few days and I'm not sure about the effect yet. There's still a decent chunk of the book I don't fully understand so combined with the speed of someone speaking, I find it hard to really recognize much. I like the book but I wonder if, because even reading isn't fully comprehensible, I won't get so much out of listening practice.

I also found a movie I like enough to watch on repeat (Chainsaw Man) and have been watching it with subs in my target language and again with no subs at all. Plan is to keep repeating it until I can hear and understand, then move onto a new movie. It feels less efficient because relatively little time involves speaking, but the dialogue is relatively simple and I get a lot of context.

Are there better approaches? Any critiques? Things you tried that worked?

submitted by /u/NoobyNort
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/UYq87KD
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments