How do I stop feeling jealous of people who have a better accent than me? (TL)

I don't have a good accent in my TL. I simply don't hear the differences between the sounds, no matter how hard I try. I'm not unintelligible by any means, but I sound like I don't speak it well. I have a feeling it's related to me having a tin ear and being a bit tone deaf. I also don't do well with rhythm and prosody. One of my friends is learning the same language as me and has been mistaken for a native speaker several times. When I asked her, she said she just listens to a lot of content and practices a lot, but I don't know how to do that if it all sounds the same to me.

It's not even the accent that I'm jealous of; it's more the fact that I seem to be lacking something fundamental in the listening department.

submitted by /u/Low_Ad879
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/MNeSsDF
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments