How do extroverts improve thinking before speaking?

I have read the FAQ and don't think my question has been answered.

I think my question is general enough and I suspect others learning a language may have the same issue.

I'm preparing for an exam to certify at level B1 in my target language (TL), French, but I make too many lazy errors when speaking. Specifically, I'm still making A1 errors that I shouldn't be making. It's not the knowledge, I have that, it's the sloppiness. I'm 64 years old and extroverted, so I tend to speak as though there is wire between my brain and my mouth. I'm too busy thinking about what I'm trying to convey than to slowly work out the correct form, the correct tense, the correct conjugation, the correct prepositions, etc before speaking. When I forcefully slow down and reflect first, I do much better. My teacher thinks this is the key to overcoming the sloppiness. He says it's the same thing with learning a new piece playing musical instruments, but of course I can't play anything on a musical instrument without making sloppy mistakes either. I was never able to overcome this in music.

My wife is introverted. She told me that whenever she speaks, even her native language, she first thinks carefully about what she's going to say, so much so to the point that sometimes it's too late to say it. She knows me well (over 40 years) and thinks it's going to be really hard for me to overcome this tendency.

Any extroverts out there, how did you become sufficiently mindful when learning your target language to slow it down and think carefully first before speaking while you are in the middle of a conversation.

I'm looking for actionable strategies that I can practice and adopt.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/VastPitch5733
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/nUmHYvA
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments