How are we feeling on AI-language tools these days?

EDIT - This ISN'T a post about debating if AI has a place in language learning. If you don't like AI or want to use it as a tool, please just pass on this post. Different strokes for different folks and all that. It's a bit childish to come in here and argue and downvote everyone who doesn't agree with you.

This post is for those who don't just outright hate AI, of course. And I'm also really talking about major languages, the ones that AI will have more than enough material in to be good.

As AI has gotten increasingly better in the past weeks, months, years, I am wondering what are the best AI tools for language learning right now. I am NOT saying that some AI tool can completely replace all traditional forms of language learning. I do believe that it can speed it up though.

With that said:

Where I am most interested in the value of AI is for conversation practice and for at-need instant correction of syntax. My (native Spanish) partner and I talk to chatGPT already in both English and Spanish for just random stuff (like fixing some mechanical problem) and we'd both rate it as pretty near flawless, even if the accent isn't so casual. And sometimes I checked some really weird or particular syntax with chatGPT in Spanish in text and I wasn't sure it's answer was right, but every time my partner said it was.

So, is it worth it to get a particular tool or app, or does it make more sense to just spin up GPT convos to chat with in target languages? What are we trying nowadays, what are we thinking? I want to re-enter the world of language learning after a big hiatus with both refreshing my Brazilian Portuguese (I was probably C1 a few years back) and starting to learn French (TL) from zero, so two very different goals. For PT, I think I'll just dive into chatting and watching stuff again, reading and writing a bit. For FR, I clearly need some structured way to learn, so it'll be more complex than that. I wonder if AI-driven courses are really of higher value yet, or not really.

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

submitted by /u/Straight-Put-2142
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/odO2L0B
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments