I have noticed something weird about myself when switching between languages.
When I speak my native language, I am usually pretty reserved and serious. I do not use many hand gestures and I tend to think quite a lot before I say something.
But when I switch to one of my target languages, I feel much more outgoing. I talk more, joke more, use my hands more, and I am generally more expressive. Sometimes it honestly feels like I am a slightly different person.
I do not know if it is actually the language itself, or just the fact that I have learned and used that language in different situations and around different people. Maybe after spending enough time in another language, you also pick up some of the communication habits and personality traits associated with the people and culture around it.
I am curious if anyone else has noticed this. Do you feel like your personality changes depending on the language you are speaking? Do you feel more confident or expressive in one language than another? And do you ever feel like one version of yourself feels more natural than the others?
[link] [comments]
from Language Learning https://ift.tt/inmu7vK
via Learn Online English Speaking
Comments
Post a Comment