Anyone else feel like no matter how comfortable they get at understanding content in their target language, it's never as entertaining/engaging as native language content?

I've reached a point with immersing in content in my target language (Dutch) that I can understand pretty much everything I consume, especially on YouTube (no matter the subject and complexity of vocabulary used). I don't understand every word perfectly, but I can pretty much instantly infer the meaning of those obscure words through context.

But despite this, when immersing, in the back of my head it still feels like I'm doing it for immersion rather than just enjoying the content in the way that I do with my native language (English). To put it succinctly, English-language content speaks to my soul in a way that Dutch content just doesn't. When consuming content in English, it feels like pure entertainment, whereas with Dutch content there's still something that gets in the way.

I do have little moments where I'm so engaged with the content that I forget that I'm immersing, but those moments are rare. And I know that this isn't an issue of a discrepancy in quality of the content compared to that of English, because my Dutch friends watch the same YouTubers as the main content they consume and really connect with it.

Then again, English is my native language and I've been watching English-language content pretty much my entire life. So is this just a matter of lack of familiarity and experience? Will I after enough time reach a point where Dutch-language content feels as engaging as English-language content? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience on this.

submitted by /u/Skorpion877
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/mprlf6M
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments