Explaining to mum how pathologising language processing disorders can be beneficial?

Hey all,

I have diagnosed ADHD, and I'm studying to be a secondary teacher at uni.

The unit we did last semester was on childhood development, and my tutor was amazing. She is a speech pathologist, but is working in the area of research for inclusion at my uni. A lot of her work relates to attentional difficulties and language processing disorders. I decided to stay in the loop with what she does, and she was on a podcast talking about Developmental Language Disorder (DLD). Highly recommend the listen: Hoops of Steel - Hiding in Plain Sight with Haley Tancredi - Inclusive English Classrooms

The unit I am current in is on inclusive education. I have a different teacher, but we have a horrendous assignment where we have to make a 6 minute video presentation covering what inclusive education is, why it's important, and how theory/legislation/policy inform teaching practice.
I'm really struggling on this assignment because the topic is so close to my heart, and I'm finding it hard to structure and synthesise the concepts. It's one of those ones I really wish it was an exam.

Anyway, a friend of mine is quite bright, and he has a strong grasp of the English language. He said "English is one of the few languages that you can say exactly what you mean with no ambiguity" in comparison to other languages.

I asked said mate of mine for his thoughts on what I've done (I'm still open to help from anyone). I kind of joked that I may have dyslexia because I'm struggling to put things together. Then I remembered the podcast, and looked into DLD further. The things I read about DLD really resonate with me.

This morning I mentioned it with mum. Although I have an ADHD diagnosis, she has always been of the strong opinion that over-pathologising any behaviour can be unhealthy. She basically said that a lot of things I described are normal, and that she doesn't see anything wrong with me, and it's not great to try and self-diagnose myself. Although I can see her side of it, and I agree that pathologising any behaviour isn't great, I also think think that terms to describe how behaviour may be disordered can be beneficial, but I can't quite articulate it (ironically).

This conversation kind of blew out of proportion, which definitely wasn't my intention. When she said that she doesn't see anything wrong with how I process language, I retorted and said that we tend to argue because of misunderstandings. It kinda sucks with parents and developmental disabilities, because there is a high chance she may also have the same problem I do.

Anyway, how can I show/explain to her that differentiating between typical and atypical behaviour can be helpful?
I know there are a lot of ethical considerations (dilemma of difference), but I would like to know how I can approach this better.

(TL)

submitted by /u/Donttouchmybreadd
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/lBvFjPn
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments