What is the scholarly consensus on dictation for language learning?

I feel like dictation helps me in my particular case. For me, I can read somewhat effectively in French and have the basics of the grammar down, but when I listen to normal native speakers I get entirely lost and it just becomes a blob of noise. When I do dictation, I feel I get listening practice in short bursts which helps me make sense of what I'm listening to, while also training my spelling and grammar skills when I have to type out what I hear.

However, I haven't been doing dictation long enough to know whether this will actually help improve my listening abilities. I'm always skeptical of what 'feels right' on my learning journey, because I know that I could always be tricked into wasting a lot of my time (i.e. Duolingo). I read in a recent academic paper that

"Dictation has been used in the field of language learning for several years. However, most of the language instructors and methodologists regard this method as useless and out-of-date."

However, I've seen other sources that still hold it to be effective. Just wanted to get the opinions from the knowledgeable people here on whether or not I'm wasting my time on speechling doing dictation, and if there would be better ways to enhance my listening skills. I've tried for long periods to listen to podcasts and TV, but I literally can't keep up at all and it becomes very frustrating to me and I do not feel like I end up learning anything. However, I'm not sure if doing dictation will help me cross that listening barrier.

submitted by /u/gaymossadist
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/pDSdK1P
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments