Aspiring polyglot who needs some advice

I am a native Spanish speaker. Always, for academic reasons, I have studied English as a second language and a little bit of French, very little. It didn't catch my attention that much, but these months, I'm getting fond of languages. Above all I want to learn Romance languages, since these are sisters of Spanish. I decided, out of curiosity, to learn Portuguese. Later, I wanted to study the mother tongue, Latin. But these are just hobbies.

What I really need is a good level of English. The type of English I know is predominantly standard British and a little bit American. I took some tests on the Internet; I had level A2, close to B1 especially in relation to grammar. I have passed the subject at school. I have signed up for academies and others to prepare myself, but I haven't liked any of them. Because I didn't feel like I was getting better. I didn't like how they taught classes. I felt that the level was very low. I have already been to three academies, more or less. I watch and listen to videos, music in English, in their original language. I try to read classic novels in English (when I have the chance). I found a Grammar book, which I have been told is excellent, that I would like to study. I cannot travel to any Anglo-Saxon country or close to it. The closest thing is the Internet and I feel that it does not help me communicate orally. It is not urgent, but I would like to improve, more or less in a few years, because I need that level not only for studies, but also for goal, for objective.

On the other hand, Portuguese is a closer Romance language. I am learning the Brazilian variety because it is the country with the most native speakers. I could master it easier, but in that case, I would do it for pleasure. And it wouldn't be useful to me in the short or long term (I think). Beyond Duolingo classes and the Internet, I have nothing. It is a pleasure, a hobby to pass the time. I also know that Latin, although a dead language, can help a lot, apart from a very nutritious intellectual enrichment. Also very useful if I want to get into Literature, but I am interested in Social Sciences. Greek is good too, but...No. I'm not interested. Other languages ​​seem striking to me. I would learn them, maybe someday. But for now, no.

So I need advice: Is it better to focus on English? Should you mix learning two languages? How do I improve my level in these languages? How can I at least reach level B1 (at least in English)? What can I do if I don't have so many resources? I need tips for polyglots and performance. I want a second opinion.

submitted by /u/Creative_Essay6711
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/Be7xSUM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments