Expand vocab and study/learn better

Long read. I've been studying for a while now, here are my circumstances in learning Swedish:

  1. Been living in the country since April. I've been studying on and off for almost a year, but last year was very limited and mostly just did Anki words everyday. I only started serious study when I moved here.
  2. Doing SFI C (level is equivalent to A1-A2), I also did courses from Folkuniversitet until A2.
  3. I am familiar with around 1,500 words.
  4. I read easy news and watch shows with subtitles for 3.5 hrs in total daily.
  5. I do Anki.

My questions are: 1. How do I learn new and difficult words? 2. How do I retain the words? I know exposure/seeing or hearing them again and again is the way, but what if they are not that common? I know some of the words once I see or hear them. But I can't use them since they are not common, or I forget them sometimes since they are rarely used. 3. I understand my teacher most of the time, some sentences when other people speak and kinda understand the shows too. But when the teacher plays "pre-recorded" sounding voices, and when I took the Folkuniversitet online test, I barely understand them. Does that mean my listening skills is also very low? 4. What do you do when you read, but don't understand most of it since it has unfamiliar words?

I feel I am stuck at A1 and can't proceed further because of my questions above. Will highly appreciate your tips.

submitted by /u/bakedlasagna123
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/eFnJVNT
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments