Teaching a foreign language as a non-native speaker?

What's your opinion on this topic? I've heard a lot of people say that they often prefer their teacher to be a a native speaker of a language they learn even if they have not specifically studied for it. I am a teacher myself. I've been teaching Dutch for the past couple of years. I'm not a native but I did go to uni and study Dutch. I've had a lot of foreign students tell me that they were sceptical in the beginning about learning the language from me because of that. I get that it can be tricky for example because of pronunciation, if the teacher's isn't good, but then again, you can have a native speaker with a perfect pronunciation and learn other things very wrong.

submitted by /u/freya_sinclair
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/BIV4OYn
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments