Switching language with a partner of many years

My wife and I have been together 16 years. I'm English, she's Finnish and we live in England. Our relationship language has always been English. Sh.e's been fluent for 20+ years and is near native having lived here for 16 years.

I've been learning Finnish for many years now and plateaued at a B1/B2 for a while but following a 3 week intensive course in Finland we've started to switch languages more. We talk about everyday matters but have agreed that if it gets difficult, if it's about an emotional topic (e.g. one of us has had a bad day for example), if it's complex topic (e.g. mortgages) or if either of us doesn't fancy it in that moment we'll speak in English. My aim isn't 100% Finnish all of the time, but it's just a way of getting better. It's going well but is tiring and can feel frustrating. I can say a lot but I'm trying not to be strict with myself about sticking to Finnish and I've made it clear it's both of our decisions which language to speak.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of switching language in a relationship that is already well established? If you have any advice or just want to share your experience?

submitted by /u/TheHayvek
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/q2IAeBh
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments