unsure if giving up is the right choice

I’m latino fluent in both spanish and english. I want to be different. Not be just another bilingual latino. I’ve found myself day dreaming being able to speak the main Romance languages (Italian, French, Portuguese) and going on an epic Southern Europe adventure. But then reality strikes me. I literally have no use for those languages like at all in my life. I don’t know a single French or Italian speaker nor do I consume their media or culture unless you want to count the Olive Garden and Emily in Paris lol. I barely use my Spanish in the states and that’s the second most spoken language here. I’ve dabbled a bit with Duolingo but it just feels like I’m going to waste a bunch of time and forget everything I learned. It’s not like I really enjoy learning languages either. I rather play video games or watch tv. I guess what all I’m interested in is the aesthetic of being a polyglot and the bragging rights. But my pragmatic personality just isn’t okay investing huge amounts time for something I may use like once a year or never at all.

submitted by /u/MasterGamut
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3fmXSAE
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments