Learning a language based on utility or personal enjoyment?

Hello all,

I would like to start learning a new language this year, but I'm struggling to choose between two: French and German. I've briefly started to learn the basics of both before but quit for different reasons. Now here's my dilemma:

In terms of practicality, French would be the obvious choice. I already speak two Latin languages, my parents speak it, and it's more widely spoken. The only downside is that I don't really like it or feel drawn to it, except for knowing that I could get conversational pretty quickly.

On the other hand, German brought me a lot of enjoyment, even when I was learning just the basics. I started learning because it was my ex's native language and stopped when we broke up, since I didn't have a real reason to know it anymore. I like the way the language sounds a lot more but I'm aware it would take a lot longer to get conversational or even achieve fluency.

Thinking about the future, I could see myself living in a German-speaking country (e.g. Austria or Germany) more than a French-speaking one, but neither is likely in the foreseeable future.

While I know I have to make the decision for myself, I wonder if anyone found themselves in the position of having to opt between the practical and personal aspects when choosing a language to devote the next years of their lives to. Any opinions are welcome :)

submitted by /u/ablueglobe
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/nlTRHa5
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments