Is not being able to translate equal to lack of knowledge in a language?

Hi all for reference I'm primarily learning Spanish, love reading it online and listening to it in music and stuff. I'm not going to pretend I'm even close to fluent but I'm good enough to at least get the jist of about maybe 50% of the things I read. If there's a word I commonly see but am not sure of I google it every time to reinforce what it's meant to mean. However for example on call of duty mw2 there are bits and pieces of spanish and my friends have been playing it and ask me to translate or in farcry 6 my friends would say "what does this mean?"

Now most of the time I don't really know verbatim what it is but I could tell you at least a topic or what I think it means because I'm getting to a point where in context and from reading native speakers I get faint ideas of what things mean. For example "órale" my friend asks me what does that mean and I say I don't know it sounds like maybe slang but I'd think it means to hurry up or something based on the context of mw2 or even in a song I have on they'll ask to translate it and sometimes I like to practice translating songs but I'm not very good at it but I can tell you the rough idea of a song.

Would it be fair to say that it's not the most incredibly useful to know another language of you can't necessarily translate it? I don't really know but I know translating is a separate skill that takes lots of practice on its own but I'd like to know your thoughts on it.

submitted by /u/STON3K0LDK1LL3R
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/xQp7X4y
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments