Contradicting advice is throwing me all over the place. What should I do?

I know, I know, this is gonna sound ridiculous but I initially started with the mindset of becoming a polyglot that speaks 10 languages. The YouTube polyglots who learn a new language every 2 months made it seem so easy. However, the more involved I had become in language learning the more grounded in reason I became. I realized that learning a language seriously takes at least 3 years of daily effort and even then I will only barely scratch the level of native fluency. This means that instead of planning to learn 8 languages in the long term, I settled with 2 to 3.

I realized that 99% of polyglots on YouTube are marketers, grifters and at best have a mediocre grasp of the languages they claim to speak. Learning a language could take a lifetime. Okay!

I speak Arabic natively and English as a second language but I am pretty fluent in English that I can blend in any English environment fine, although I am aware that my writing feels monotonous and robotic and I don't know how to fix that.

Anyway, right now I am certain that the two languages that I want to speak are French and Spanish. The third is uncertain. I will make the decision once I succeed in learning Spanish and French.

Right now, I am yo yoing between Spanish and French, not knowing which one to stick with. I like Spanish, but honestly I like French more. I enjoy French music more than Spanish music, and I need French more than I need Spanish in my life, because Algerians speak French and their Arabic is unintelligible to me.

I've been told to NEVER learn two languages at the same time. I thought I'd learn Spanish and French together but that's a very bad idea per the advice of a dozen people I asked.

The problem is, Spanish is 100 times easier for me because its pronunciation is straight forward. Conversely, French's pronunciation is perplexing. However, I like French more.

Deep inside I want to start with French and only move on to Spanish after 2-3 years.How to stick with my decision? What is your advice for a first time language learner? I don't count English as a language I have "learned" as I passively acquired it from the Internet.

Thank you! :)

submitted by /u/Big-Importance7333
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/ZXJejMb
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments