Are there methods of teaching/learning/discussing language learning in general that don’t rely on a learner knowing what the parts of speech are called?

I’m not asking for myself; it’s just a question I thought of when asking someone I know about how something works in their target language.

Assuming the learner in question knows basics like verbs vs. nouns vs. adjectives, but maybe not things like “passive voice,” “subjunctive,” “mood,” “article,” “participle,” or so forth, is there another way to talk about language or teach that doesn’t involve them, basically, taking high school English all over again?

To be clear, I’m an analytic thinker who likes to know what things are called so I can better understand how they work and refer back to them later. But I’m not interested in alienating others by insisting they conform to that style; people speak languages all the time without knowing technical terms for things. My goal is to communicate with others in a positive and meaningful way about something that interests them, and maybe learn something myself about how something works in that person’s target language, without coming off as snobby or condescending. Similarly, I’d love to share what I know about some language I speak in a way that would be accessible to such a person.

submitted by /u/Kaywin
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/PiDeqt9
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments