Learning a Language With ADHD and/or Autism

Hi all! :) I'm a language learner with Autism and ADHD. I was hoping to get some input from fellow neurodivergent folks, but anyone can feel free to weigh in.

I struggle with being consistent with languages due to these conditions. People with ADHD are notorious for enthusiastically picking up a hobby, then dropping it once another thing comes along. We are dopamine chasers: if our hobby is no longer giving us those dopamine rushes, it is hard to stick with it. Likewise with Autism, I get "special interests" that can fluctuate.

For example, I was learning Mandarin enthusiastically for 2 months. I took several practice HSK 1 tests and passed with good marks. Then I felt suddenly...tired. I proceeded to take on a non-language related interest for a short while. Then I came back and tried Japanese...again. Then I quickly moved onto Spanish...again. Then I got the bug for Mandarin again. It's the language I'm most interested in and I'd really like to commit long-term. But it's hard.

I have good reasons for learning Mandarin. I enjoy it. I want to learn it. Yet, I struggle to commit long-term. I wonder how you guys deal with the impulsive desire to move onto something else, or take a break. Can breaks ever be a good thing? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/melmcgee
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/YC1TzQ8
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments