Is Italian a pointless language to learn compared to, for instance, Spanish? What do you think? Would it be a silly choice?

Good evening, everybody. I speak Polish, which is my native language, and English on, well, I would say a fairly competent level, although I may very well be overratting myself.

I did learn some Spanish in middle school, though I don't remember much of it, I am probably not even A1, but I do remember the rules of pronounciation (up to a point), some basic phrases and vocabulary, and I am used to the sound of this language, so I guess I do have some foundations already laid out.

Now, logically speaking, learning Spanish would seem the wise option, since it's spoken by hundreds of millions of people all around the world, and because, as I've explained, I've already obtained some (extremely, extremely basic, but still) grasp of the language.

However, I am finding myself drawn towards the Italian language. Now, in my opinion (which could totally be wrong), while Spanish is certainly beautiful, I feel like Italian sounds significantly more elegant. Spanish is like highly, "degraded" Latin, whereas Italian seems like a natur descendant of that language, something akin to what the Romans might speak if their Empire had survived to this day.

Now, please don't ridicule me, but I am somewhat of a fan of the 1972 film, "the Godfather", and its 1974 prequel/sequel, "the Godfather Part 2". Now, these films recount the story of an Italian mafia family, and so they do feature a lot of Italian parts (for example, here). I am finding myself quite drawn to the sound of this tongue. I would like to, one day, be able to watch these films and understand them without the need for subtitles for the Italian parts.

However, obviously, Italian has fewer speakers than Spanish, oe, say, French. As such, I probably won't be able to utilize it too much outside of Italy.

And yet, I am finding myself wishing I spoke this language, so I could understand the characters in the abovementioned crime drama films.

Do you think Italian is a silly choice compared to Spanish, because it has fewer speakers? Would it be dumb to choose to learn it instead of the other option? Why or why not? Would it be justified to learn it just because I like it in film?

What do you deem of this? I am eager to hear your thoughts.

I hope my English is at least somewhat comprehensible, please tell me if it is not.

Edit I am sorry for some stylistic mistake, it's late and I typed it all on my phone.

submitted by /u/C111tla
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/FCL0vEi
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments