Did I make the right choice?

It all started with the pandemic of 2020. I started learning English more or less three years ago at the time. I noticed day by day that I wasn't getting any difficulty understanding english videos on YouTube, news articles or even my most hated enemy, music, the slayer of comprehension, and his two swords know as Different Pronunciation and Instrumental. My communication skills aren't the most refined as I had almost zero conversation practice or language output(maybe you could notice that just reading this post), but I'm pretty good at listening and reading. The thing is, I wanted a new language.

I learned English for entertainment and kept learning it for that too, with the giant YouTube community and heavy presence on the internet, I could immerse myself with no difficulty. I wanted another language like that one. I ended up choosing japanese, that is right below portuguese(my native language) in some charts of YouTube usage, and also is the language of the country that catapulted my English since I started watching seasonal anime with English subs.

Now is 2022, and things are a little cloudy. With the help of resources like JP news easy, animelon and Anki I got a nice level for a begginer, but I don't feel the same "door opening" energy that I felt with English. The japanese YouTube section isn't really appealing to me like the portuguese or English ones, some of the most interesting videos are made with the robotic voices of the yukkuri style, that I'm not a big fan of yet(I don't know if I ever will be) and the only channels that I like until now are ジェルちやんねる, two about Jujutsu Kaisen and さおうさん, that has really good pokemon content and a funny personality. Aside from the YouTube, I couldn't use seasonal anime to learn Japanese like I did with English since I can't find any site that has the ones from the most recent season with japanese subtitles, so the "video part" of my immersion is limited to animelon and some rare YouTube channels that I find along the way.

The anxiety of not having much content to immerse is building up a little bit of stress(based on the idea that with all that english content it took me more or less 3 years to get something that seems like fluency), and now we get to the point of the title. Sometimes I caught myself thinking that if I spent the entirety of 2020, 2021 and now 2022 learning any other language I would have an experience similar to my English one, but I kept going with japanese and now I don't know what to do. Maybe if I spent that time leaning Russian(seems pretty big on internet as a whole, seems like the top 2 in some charts) or Korean(that doesn't have that much of a weight on the internet compared to other languages but hey, hangul is the alphabet of the gods and manhua looks cool with the mobile format and full color)I would have a better leaning experience.

I don't know if I made the right choice choosing japanese, or if it will be the right choice to abandon japanese even if the leaning in other languages in theory would be faster an more enjoyable in short term, compared to japanese where my enjoyment is in the long term (when I get to watch some anime with 0 subs)

Sorry if there's some gramatical errors, output is not my thing, but I hope someone understand this text.

submitted by /u/0Tatu0
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/v5tAged
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments