Comprehensible Input Review 100 hours in review so far!

I'm not paid for this post.

Hello everyone I will be doing a journal update for each milestone of Dreaming Spanish. His website is completely Comprehensible Input(CI): If you are not aware what CI is:

Comprehensible input is simply an instructional shift when teachers provide input where students understand most, but not all, of the language.

If you are not aware of what Dreaming Spanish is:

Dreaming Spanish is a series of Youtube videos that have been transformed into a language-learning platform. Each video provides full Spanish immersion, even from the Super-Beginner level. Additionally, the speaking pace in each video increases depending on the level, which allows you to progressively improve your listening comprehension.

The creator, Pablo, states that through listening, you will be able to naturally develop the accent, vocabulary, grammar, speaking abilities, and comprehension of a language.

Now I do not follow this fully and have been making changes as I go along. Like not looking up words or Crosstalk. However 98% percent of my time learning Spanish is through his videos.

A chart breakdown

Background of my Spanish:

In High School 12 years ago I took Spanish 1 and 2. I failed Spanish 2 from not learning anything in Spanish 1 and not putting any effort into learning Spanish as a majority of US high school students do not.

Fast forward to 10 years later I'm on an Adderall IR bender for two months hopping from method to method. Focusing on Language Transfer to Pimsleur to watching Spanish Rap videos to asking myself should I switch to Swedish or Dutch...no Italian! To then going back to Spanish and trying out reading elementary books at a infant language learning level or trying to make a shit ton of Quizlet or Anki flashcards. I eventually burned myself out after 4-5 hours of half assing learning a language and had not come back to it until 3 months ago in December of 2021.

I started this time with a more clear headed mind. I had started listening to Language Transfer again while driving in the car 30 minutes to work there and back. I was doing good made to about Track 35 before I started having difficulty understanding the breakdown. (I made it to track 62.) While I plan to go back to this it won't be for a bit.

I then switched to Clozemaster. Excellent site and I was doing the Fluency Fast Track. I would do about an hour everyday doing 10 new cards then doing the reviews. This felt like a lot of progress but the words were not sticking and I was missing something. I made it to the 2000 most common words and about 17 hours worth. This is when I found Dreaming Spanish

Dreaming Spanish: Youtube Channel Link

I started Pablos /u/langdreamer Dreaming Spanish January 5th of 2022. My listening lacked the most of any area in Spanish. This made me have little faith that it would help me out. However comprehensible input(CI) was the way I learned my first language so I gave it a shot.

I started at 1 hour a day for about 5 days but looked at how much I had to do to make progress. 1 hour a day was not enough. I started to increase my hours to 2 hours daily.

Super Beginner:

I was making progress on the super beginner videos in which I barely understood anything to finally get about 90% of words after 12 hours in.

A lot of his super beginner videos remind me of children videos but that is because you're taking the first steps at learning a new language. At the 15 hour mark I moved onto his beginner set of videos. I have videos left in the Super beginner section but I can not stand the one woman he has on named Luna. She serves no purpose at all in the videos except making annoying noises when he asks certain questions. (She goes away in the other levels).

Each level you move up in it seems that they are speaking too fast or just speaking gibberish. Until you keep on with CI, words start to popup more clearer and speech seems to be speaking at a normal rate which is understandable. I am not understanding phrases but more so words bit by bit.

Beginner Videos:

From 15 hour mark and on the beginner videos were my go to. I increased my Dreaming Spanish to 3 hours daily. Luna was gone and now we were getting more involved with interesting things like culture in Spain, guest interviews, and gaming videos. This grabbed my attention. At the 50 hour mark I felt good and have been making progress but struggling with conjugations. I also am struggling with lo le se. Words seem to be sticking easier than they were at super beginner. 45 minutes a day my studying is now listening (not watching) to his videos (while driving) that I listened to at least three weeks prior that I know some gist of what is happening but I learn new words each time through.

100 hours in:

Im now 100 hours in. Beginner videos are starting to get into the rhythm of flowing better and speaking is not as fast as it was in the beginning. I am more comfortable with present tense conjugations but still struggle immensely from other conjugations forms. Pablo says this comes with time but I am going to start making flashcards for the different conjugation endings and when to use them. I feel like it would make it easier when I come into them again. I am now slowly getting involved with short phrases like "me da igual" , "en fin" "por eso".

Side notes for this part of this post:

  • I feel like I am making slow progress but I am retaining more than I ever did with Anki or Clozemaster.
  • My listening skills have improved.
  • My reading skills have improved even more and I don't even read. (I have been using Spanish subtitles for one video a day the past 3 days for words I dont know. )
  • I still have a lot of trouble translating into my head in English. I need more exposure to Spanish to get rid of this Pablo states.
  • I don't feel burned out from studying this way.
  • I started to venture into Spanish After Hours and I can keep up with her videos fine but she does not have as many as Pablo.
  • He has a great tracking system on his site for all hours you do for CI.
  • I am on the edge of beginner and intermediate. I am grinding through beginner videos that interest me. I can do one or two intermediate videos but a lot of it is difficult. In the intermediate videos there is no visuals it's people speaking so you don't have that handicap.
  • I plan on using crosstalk method as he states you should do very soon. A chart breakdown

Do I think Dreaming Spanish is worth it?

Absolutely it is worth the money and probably the easiest way so far to learn Spanish. He's got tons of free videos if you want to try them out. He makes learning spanish a lot easier.

To be continued...

submitted by /u/Froggerbotrom
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/FdXx8lh
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments