Homeric Greek or Dorian Greek learning resource?

Hey,

I'm thinking of finally starting to learn ancient Greek. Due to the small knowledge in Greek linguistics, I decided not to start with Attic or Ionic. My dream variety would be a form of Doric, cuz it has these fancy archaic features, but there ain't no real "standard Doric", as far as I'm aware of, so I need a substitution for it. My idea was Homeric Greek. Although it's combining also Attic/Ionic features, Homer's Greek can give me a good overview on how Greek varieties were spoken back then.

Today I was recommended the book by Schoder. After using the "Glimpse into the Book" Feature (I have no idea how it's called in English) I wasn't really satisfied with it. Schoder seemed to have made the book for English speakers/natives with no prior knowledge on language/linguistics, for example, it looked very superficial to me, not showing alternative forms, that, as far as I know, were present in Homers texts.

Are there other Books on Homeric [[Or Doric?]] Greek, that include explanations, alternatives etc. but simultaneously are not 500 pages long linguistic examination papers on the topic?

Thank you :›

submitted by /u/LYDWAC
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3qt4GAB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments