Just Passed DELF B1. Since A2, I've learned a few things.

Just Passed DELF B1. Since A2, I've learned a few things.

Hey everyone! I found out my results for the DELF B1 French exam today. I took the exam in early November.

Results

Oral Comprehension Written Comprehension Written Production Oral Production
23.5/25 25/25 14.50/25 20/25

My weakness here was definitely the written production, which I actually didn't practice at all before the exam. I take an input-focused approach to studying and am not currently living in a French-speaking area, so I have very little opportunity to practice writing in French in day-to-day life and don't intentionally practice this skill for the time being.

I also don't practice speaking much, and I recall making some glaring errors (like J'ai venu... lol) when speaking so I was actually quite impressed with the mark.

Written and oral comprehension are regularly practiced and this is where my marks were the best. Proud of that written comprehension score!

Lessons Learned

In my post-A2 report (available here: https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/miwszu/just_passed_my_delf_a2_how_i_built_a_daily_habit/), I discussed my strategy for building a daily study habit and becoming a serious learner.

Since then, my habit has been disrupted somewhat. I moved in early August to return to school after a mid-degree gap year working and that definitely caused some disruption in the consistency of my habit. It's pretty evident if you look at my Anki heatmap from this time that there were many days missed as a struggled to adapt my learning.

https://preview.redd.it/bs5xpm9thl281.png?width=644&format=png&auto=webp&s=d8494ea2b5dc181e8267eba32cc1cfacc8c3a0e7

Nonetheless, I pressed on. You can see my study did once again return to being more consistent.

The point is that you don't have to be perfect. A breakdown in study as life runs its course doesn't have to be permanent and as long as you get back on track you can still reach your goals!

Current Study Plan and Future Goals

My French is currently at a level that I can use some native resources to study. I am currently reading a YA novel with relative ease, and I often listen to French news and understand most of the stories quite well. It's not just language practice anymore but I get entertaining stories out of the books I read and useful information from the news and articles I read or listen to.

Some forms of media still feel out of reach, such as adult TV shows. I haven't yet found a French TV show I can comfortably watch that isn't a dub I've previously seen in English. Most are just a bit too advanced.

I don't have a particular goal to reach B2 at this time. The way I see it, being Canadian, French is a life-long study goal. That doesn't mean I don't want to have short-term goals, but for now I'm happy continuing to make French a part of my day-to-day life and seeing where I go. Once I graduate and start working, I can assess when I want to get to B2 and put an appropriate amount of effort in to get there. I mentioned in my last post that not having a goal can be problematic, but really my goal at this point is to maintain the level as being back in school I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to progressing my French. I have limited monetary resources to put towards this goal so I will continue with an input based approach as it is not only effective but also quite cheap.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! It took me about 7 months to go from A2 to B1 based on when I took the tests, although I am not sure if I may have been above A2 level when I took that test as I got 95/100 on it. I do not have an exact hour count, so please don't ask.

submitted by /u/ryebread761
[link] [comments]


from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3I0hM0t
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments