Japanese, Russian, or Spanish?

Hey all,

I'm stuck on deciding between the three languages in the topic.
After being hot and cold with language learning for several years, mostly due to not having anyone around me or in my life that either is also interested in language learning or speaks anything other than English, and trying and failing to Duolingo/university my way to anything more than onesies and twosies of vocabulary in German. I'd originally picked German to learn because, at the time, there weren't any resources outside of like, Rosetta Stone, for learning Russian. Now, ten or so years on, I'm tired of waffling and want to apply myself and actually learn a second language. I love the way all of these sound, and would love to be fluent (or whatever B1/B2 is) in at least one of them, and plan to use the Refold method (refold.la) one whichever one I end up deciding on.

I've always been interested in Russian, but the sheer difference to English and all I hear about the grammar and sentence structure is doing a good job of making me hesitate. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about the language itself or the culture around it, unfortunately, so my interest is mostly that I like the way it sounds, would like to visit the country, and think it'd be cool to read books and such in the original language. But, there's no one around me that speaks the language, so actually using the language and practicing it would be pretty much impossible without an app or something.

Japanese is more of a recent interest, mostly resulting from playing Ghost of Tsushima making me want to actually understand what's being said. I've been able to do a little bit of research into it, and I actually really like the concept of Keigo and the amount of specificity in the language and the amount of nuance in phrases that add another layer of meaning and personality to what's being said. The amount of characters to learn doesn't really seem daunting to me (at least right now). I'd like to visit sometime and I like the food. But again, I have no one around me that speaks it.

Spanish is one that would be the easiest to find someone to talk with, and would be the most useful of the three in my day to day life, but it doesn't have the same kind of pull for me that the other two do. I still want to learn it, but I can't really name a reason why other than just to have that second language and knowing I can learn another, if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with one or more of these that would have some advice or particular pitfalls of a native English speaker learning them?

submitted by /u/Rook37
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3I4T7Yt
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments