(Formerly) bilingual, but losing active vocabulary

I grew up bilingual but haven't spoken my second language much at all, since moving out for uni 10 years ago. Grammar is fine and I can still understand news articles or TV shows, but my active vocalubary has gotten very, very limited. The other day, I was talking to my grandparents who don't speak English, but I couldn't even tell them what's going on my life due to lack of vocabulary. I'm quite embarrassed about it, and it makes me want to call them even less. But I also don't want to lose my connection to them. What is the most effective way to re-learn a broader vocabulary? Is it enough to consune media? Do I need flashcards? I learned French to ~B2 level, so I'm not completely new to language learning. Just wondering what would be most efficient for me.

submitted by /u/bakedphd
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3lhBMBJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments