Crying after being asked to translate. It happens every time.

Every single time my mom asks me to translate things, she would say that I'm slow at reading. She would also regularly "test" me by seeing some vocabulary post off Instagram and then tell me that my translations are wrong (I tend to translate things to sound as natural as possible in English so that it makes more sense? but it seems that she prefers a literal translation), and she would always ask "why" or "how" when I directly translate things for her. Just this morning she was asking me to translate some reviews about an apple juice. I told her they mentioned how it didn't contain any additives and preservatives. She told me it would get spoiled that way. I can't even read in front of her because I would panic and think that I read "too slow." It gets really bad that my heart beats so loud in my ears and feels heavy in the middle of reading just about anything she asks. After translating, I can't stop myself from crying and feeling so frustrated. I don't have confidence in myself or my language ability to begin with, so others not trusting me makes me feel so much worse, especially since I thrive on external validation (still trying to work on that). I don't understand why she still asks me to translate when she won't believe anything I say. It's funny because whenever I read/listen to Japanese, I feel comfortable and the happiest I can be, but the moment my mom comes to me those feelings immediately turn into dread, anxiety, and fear of failure. I feel stupid for crying every time this happens. Am I just being an overly sensitive crybaby? I'm trying to broaden my perspective and think of reasons why my mom acts this way.

I'm sorry if someone else posted about this. I didn't know precisely what to type on the search bar. This is my first post so I'm not too knowledgeable on how this works. I'm sorry if I posted this to the wrong group? subreddit? and I'm sorry if I selected the wrong tag or flair?

submitted by /u/SwordfishAlive7267
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3HYtJna
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments