What can I do to improve my language learning system?

(I hope I flared this right, let me know if I didn't)

I'm an American trying to learn Spanish. I've been "learning" for about three years now, mainly through Duolingo and other apps and websites, but I only know a little more than I knew when I first started, mainly because of my sporadic will to actually learn. My reading skills are significantly better than my speaking and listening skills, but I'm trying to change that, as well as find ways to stay motivated.

Essentially, the only way I can learn Spanish is online, with a mix of free resources and things I've bought. I was just looking for feedback about my self-teaching system, what I should add or take out, etc.

Every day, I:

  1. Listen to an episode of "Learn Spanish in Your Car"
  2. Do my daily Rosetta Stone goal
  3. Do my daily Duolingo goal (set to the highest level)
  4. Watch an episode of Destinos
  5. Brute force my way through a kid's book with a Spanish-English dictionary

Along with this, I try to listen to podcasts and audiobooks in Spanish, but I truly don't understand anything of what's being said 70% of the time. I also have a copy of my favorite English book (Percy Jackson) in Spanish, but trying to brute force my way through that just gives me a massive headache, and I've been trying for over a year and haven't made it past the first chapter. I've set my computer and tablet languages to Spanish. I also try to read Mexican news websites, but it's goes about the same as trying to read Percy Jackson does.

Ideally, I want to at least get to the level where I can read a book, listen to a podcast, or watch a tv show in Spanish and understand what's going on unassisted. My speaking skills aren't that important to me right now, because I have no one to talk to atm. Just reading and listening. (My accent is horrible anyways)

Is there anything I should change? Add? Take out? Any feedback is appreciated :)

submitted by /u/evergreen_screen
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3G8ATEB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments