Seeking Advice: Start all over with Spanish or Continue with French?

I’ve been learning French on my own for the last ~1.5 years and probably sit at a b1.2-b2.1 level of the language overall. My accent is really good because I used to speak French as a child while living in Canada but essentially forgot the language when moving back to the US. I have a burning desire to still master the language and would love to move back to Quebec or even move to France but I have some barriers that keeps me from really immersing myself: my job (40-50hrs/week remote work) and my GF.

I simply don’t have the bandwidth to want to practice my French after work because it requires more time looking at my screen and intense concentration so by EOD I just want to shut down everything. And despite my GF being “supportive” of my desire to continue learning French while living in LA, it’s just objectively harder to practice it here. I’m almost on the path to becoming a Canadian citizen and I’m flirting with the idea of moving to Montreal to learn the language more intensely but it would also mean leaving my GF who I also really want to be with. And the weekends are tough since my GF and I spend most of that time together.

On the flip side, my GF and I just wrapped up a trip to Mexico and I’ve become open to the idea of learning Spanish as a true beginner. My GF knows a good amount of Spanish but her comprehension is better than her speaking ability. She said that if I started Spanish she would also learn it again with me. In addition, since we both live in LA there are objectively more opportunities to practice with Spanish speakers than French speakers.

Although learning Spanish would be fun, my only hesitation is that once I get to a b1-b2 level is that, as we all know, it is objectively harder to make the jump to the C-level of fluency and would be difficult to balance with work at that point. However, if I did start learning Spanish I can see myself jumping to an A2-B1 level in 3-4 months which would be quite doable managing my job.

All in all, I derive a lot of satisfaction from learning French as I identify mostly with my French-Canadian heritage and I really want to get to the next level of it. I’d hate to toss away 1.5 years of French but in my view idk how realistic it’d be to master it in my current environment.

Thoughts?

submitted by /u/theleechman96
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3vLEYK7
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments