Advice/resources for an aspiring polyglot?

Hi r/languagelearning! I've been lurking here for a little bit, but I wanted to get some advice on my current plan for becoming conversational in 5 languages before I graduate high school:

  • English, my first language (fluent ✅)
  • Russian, my second language
    • Currently keeping a daily diary in Russian and listening to some Russian podcasts/poetry on Spotify
    • Reading Chelkash by Maxim Gorky
    • I can understand/read much more than I can write/speak
  • Spanish, my third language
    • Finished AP Spanish a year ago, studied it for 5 years in school
    • Reading a copy of Orwell's 1984 in Spanish, setting the NYT to Spanish mode when I read the news
  • Farsi, my fourth language
    • My grandfather speaks it, but I currently don't know much beyond the basics
    • Creating a table of common phrases to study
    • Learning basic present vs. past tense for phrases like "I want" / "I wanted"
  • French, my fifth language
    • Creating a table of basic phrases to study
    • Reading French poetry side-by-side with the English translation, then listening to readings in French
    • Many of the word roots are very similar to ones I know, so I feel like I can usually get the gist of written French passages

Has anyone had experience with Duolingo, and has it been helpful? Does anyone have good resources for getting to a solid level where you can hold basic conversations? Thank you so much!

submitted by /u/22oceanblue
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3w3bfe4
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments