What does a "Comprehensible Input" class even look like?

I'm an ESL teacher who has been using a variation of Task-Based Teaching since I started. I make sure my students are aware of the grammar but I don't do constant grammar drills or expect my students to understand metalinguistic concepts. I also make sure that my input is meaningful and my corrections are useful and well-timed, but my participation is only 30%-40% in class. I expect students to do most of the talking and all of our objectives are based on a production task that is student-centered.

I wanted to learn more about SLA and began watching lectures by Dr. Krashen and other advocates of the Comprehensible/Optimal Input approach and though I find it fascinating, I can't even begin to imagine how I would implement it into one of my classes. Conversation with my students is 90% of the class. Even in my A1 classes I'm constantly pushing students to work on their output, as long as it makes sense and it accomplishes a goal. But HOW do you even teach a class when you're speaking 90% of the time? How do students get better at speaking when they're barely even speaking in and out of class?

submitted by /u/whathefuckisreddit
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3sG7mKR
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments