Has anybody else burned themselves out studying how to learn a language instead of actually learning one?

I've been wanting to learn a language for a few years now, and I debated between Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and French. Long story short, I chose French. I was told to just jump right in, but I spent another years studying and watching videos on how to learn a language because I wanted to go in with a good amount of knowledge, habits to avoid, etc. I'm glad I did this, but I ended up becoming a bit too obsessed with making a schedule for at least a few months instead of figuring it out as I also actually learned French.

Here I am now tired and burnt out. I don't have nearly as much motivation and desire to learn a language as I did for years because I stressed too much on how to learn as efficiently as possible and creating a solid schedule. I got scared and stressed over not knowing what to do exactly even though I had all these resources. I was asking too many questions instead of trying to start or asking for proper guidance and help. How much time should I spend on reading, writing, listening, speaking throughout the week? How will I find natives? How much time everyday can I and should I spend? etc etc. After all of these years, I still haven't really learned that much French at all and I'm not studying anything daily. I did all that research for nothing lol.

Has anybody else gone through this or is currently going through this? Have you overcome it? I feel like I'll be like this for awhile after so much time being wasted on doing what I did.

I hope some beginners see this and use it as a warning of some sort to be a bit cautious of ending up like me.

submitted by /u/throwaway1145667
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3s1cEQK
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments