Which language to learn? Choosing between Spanish, German and Dutch

I have read through the FAQs and wanted some opinions as to how I could go about making my final choice. Below are my reasons for wanting to learn each of the above:

  • Spanish: It will help me connect better with Spanish speakers where I live. Moreover, I only speak English well, so since I'm a bit concerned about my ability to pick up a language, I thought Spanish might be a good place to start from since it seems easier than others.
  • Dutch: Exploring moving to Europe (pie in the sky idea atm) to be closer with other family. Holland is an option purely due to my current employer having offices/jobs there. I feel this might make acclimatisation easier from a job point of view; so maybe I wouldn't need to worry so much about being able to speak fluently before even living there?
  • German: Other option within Europe that is not tied to my current job. I feel I would need to know German quite fluently before I could even live there. Moreover, German being the hardest of the 3 languages might mean more effort required to get that fluency level.

Some questions to help me think through this:

  • Should I start with an easier language due to my concerns about picking up a new language? Or is it more of a mental block I need to work through?
  • I am thinking of using Duolingo to start, irrespective of which one I choose. If you have strong recommendations for another platform for any of these languages, pls advise.
submitted by /u/fklaslkd
[link] [comments]

from Sveiki | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/33ocw4V
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments