Intermediate Chinese learner thinking about picking up Japanese

Is this a good idea?

My main worry is that I’ll mix the two up. Right now, Chinese (simplified) is my priority since I’m literally Chinese (heritage speaker) and I want to be able to understand my native language.

Currently, I’m working through HSK4. I got here fairly fast since I do have some background, but I’m starting to slow my down/encounter new words.

My main goal for Japanese is to be able to read (and maybe gain some listening skills). I don’t really have a motivation other than wanting to consume Japanese media, so things like grammar/pronunciation aren’t going to be my priority.

My main goal for Chinese when I first started was also being able to read, though that has now expanded to me wanting to become well-rounded in the language in general... though reading is still slightly higher in priority.

So seeing how my Chinese skills are starting to improve, would this be a good time to pick up Japanese? Or should I wait until I become even more comfortable with the language first?

submitted by /u/catts34
[link] [comments]

from Dia dhaoibh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3gzzwRt
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments