Is learning by watching TV effective?

I just got Netflix a week ago and realized that the amount of spanish content is amazing and that it is perfect for me to watch. I was wondering if this is an effective way to learn Spanish though. I know if I knew nothing it wouldn't be helpful, but I studied Spanish in high school for three years. I haven't done any formal Spanish learning for two years though, and I also haven't practiced much during that time, so a lot of my knowledge has declined. I only remember the most commonly used verbs and vocab. I also forgot how to conjugate most things that aren't present or the yo or tu form in past or future.

When I am watching TV shows in spanish it is like I understand 20% of it? Sometimes I get nothing, other times I get 50%, but I would say I understand like 20% on average. A lot of times, I won't understand it, but I will translate the subtitle to english and go back and see that I actually knew it, but it just didn't click in my brain.

Anyways, I am wondering if I can just keep watching TV. It would be one episode a day of a 45 minute show. Would this be effective if I am only understanding like 20% and forgot most of the things when I was never really fluent? Do you think if I did this for like 5-6 months that I would become fluent?

Also, any studies or anecdotes on how this is effective?

Also, any TV show recommendations? I am watching Money Heist right now, and have Elite, La casa de las flores, Cable Girls, All for Love, Club de cuervos, Paquita Salas, and Jane the Virgin for shows to watch after. I also have Hulu if there are any shows on there, but it didn't seem like it.

Lastly, is there anything I should be doing along with watching a TV show, or do you think this would be enough over time. I don't need to learn ASAP. I am just doing it for fun, so I am fine if this takes longer than watching TV and also reading. I just am doing this in my free time while I eat lunch.

submitted by /u/KtheCamel
[link] [comments]

from Dia dhaoibh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YKNjio
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments