Improvement in a second language via a third language?

I love the Spanish language and have been learning it for a few years. Despite this, I haven't dedicated as much time to learning Spanish as I would have liked so am still very much a beginner. I am making progress with vocabulary, grammar, and reading comprehension but really struggle to improve my listening comprehension even with active listening practice.

I live in Canada which is bilingual English and French. I speak fluent English but almost non-existent French. In my job, my coworkers are majority French-speaking. I am not required to know or speak French in my role but encounter daily conversations in French.

I had the thought that to better communicate with my coworkers I could ladder my Spanish skills and learn some French. Learning Spanish is still my main goal but if I could teach myself a little bit of French it would be something I would utilize on a daily basis.

I know it's not recommended to ladder languages unless you're largely proficient in the second language. However since I have daily exposure to French (and French and Spanish have similar structures as romance languages), I was wondering if anyone had experience improving their second language skills (and especially listening comprehension) using a third language?

submitted by /u/AlphaEpsilon
[link] [comments]

from Salam | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2ClLrnc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments