How do you deal with people who underestimate you?

I am tired of dealing with some people who constantly tell me that I can only read at a 1st grader's level or can't understand anything beyond simple phrases. It is so annoying when people keep simplifying vocabulary words, slowing down their speech when I'm around and throwing random English phrases even though I can understand them when they talk normally. I don't know if this because I'm a native English speaker and all the foreigners they know aren't fluent.

I realize that I shouldn't let the negativity affect me, but does this happen to anyone else? It only happens with a minority of people I meet.

submitted by /u/GetLang
[link] [comments]

from Dia dhaoibh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YKa9qn
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments