I think I just found the best tool ever for language learning, and it’s going to be controversial.

We’ve all heard of all the apps that provide you with language learning guides and tools Duolingo, memrise, busuu and so on. But I’ve never been good at those, and I admit it. It’s my own fault.

I’m a very passive learner. English is not my first language. Like many of you I picked it up by watching tv shows and movies in English. In my case it was because I didn’t want to wait my country’s release date for the episodes I wanted to see.

Not long after that, I was completely immersed in English, and almost all I did on the internet was in English. I never really studied it.

So when I tell you that I found the best tool for language learning, I’m flexing. Big time. What I found actually is an app, or a program (for computer instead if you prefer) that is allowing me to repeat the same thing I did with English.

I downloaded a VPN.

Yes. A vpn. “What does a vpn have to do with anything?” Well, glad you asked. I’m a big Netflix fan. I wished I was a Hulu fan as well, but it’s not available here. I have subscriptions to Disney+ and amazon video as well. So I thought, why don’t I just start watching EVERYTHING, and I mean everything in the language I want to learn?

It works.

Problem with Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ etc is that they are all very region locked. Netflix only shows you some languages, not all. Sometimes only English and another). Amazon is literally region locked. Which means that if you log in into another country’s amazon, you are not a prime member there. Disney plus... same concept and so on and so on.

I am using Hola vpn now, I think is the best and cheaper, but you can try any of the thousands vpns available out there.

If you don’t know what it is, a vpn let’s you “connect” to another country. You IP address literally moves to another country, of your choosing. So Netflix will see you being in... Spain: everything will be available in Spanish.

I am watching everything I can, everything I would’ve watched anyway in the language I’m learning. And I’ve been doing it for a couple months, I’m picking it up. Not fast, but it works. Because I’m completely immersed in it, with whatever I watch.

Soooo... yeah.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

submitted by /u/madebyafan3
[link] [comments]

from Ongi etorri | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YSO7lp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments