I just finished reading my first novel in mandarin

Last night I finished reading 《在细雨中呼喊》 Cries in the Drizzle by 余华 Yu Hua. This is the first full novel I've ever finished in Mandarin and I'm super proud of myself!

I kept track of how many pages I read each day and how many new words I encountered so I could track my progress (it was easy bc I was reading a digital edition). I highlighted words as I went and only looked them up after I'd read through a large section. My edition was 233 pages long. It took me 25 days to read, and I read and average of 9 pages each day. When I began the book, there was an average of 25 new words on each page, but by the end this number had gone down to 7.

This method was pretty time-consuming but it was really helpful for me.

I had to read this book for a class I'm taking next quarter and now I'm moving on to the next book for that class: 《家变》 by 王文兴 . I think I'm going to use the same vocab/page tracking methods I used for 《在细雨中呼喊》 because I have a digital edition of 《家变》 as well and it's so satisfying to see the progress laid out like this!

How do y'all track your learning progress while reading in your target languages?

submitted by /u/lievemealone
[link] [comments]

from Maligayang pagdating | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2PXyXGp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments