US Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg seems to be a polyglot - what do you think?

American living abroad, so I get my (normally depressing) political news from the web. Today I was reading about Pete Buttigieg, a guy running for the Democratic nomination in the US. I saw a clip of him ´breaking into Spanish´ during a debate Q&A, for which he got quite a lot of shit for ´showing off´ or ´not speaking Spanish well´...

Looking further, I stumbled on a YouTube clip of Pete speaking 5-6 languages here. (Using ´speaking´ loosely, and I'm curious as to what y'all think). And I found multiple other links/videos of him speaking - mostly Spanish - but Norwegian, Farsi, Arabic, French, Italian, etc.

Now...it got me wondering - while this guy is unquestionably brilliant (Harvard, Oxford, Rhodes Scholar, to name a few)...would you consider this guy a polyglot? A language enthusiast? Someone who just has the luck to pick up languages easily?

Or...is it nothing more than pandering to voters? Memorizing a few lines to look good on the morning news?

No matter what it is - it's nice seeing a politician who can speak ANY language better than Trump can speak English...but still curious what y'all think of him, his skills, or whether this is just a politician showing off.

Pretty cool regardless :)

submitted by /u/jax2bcn
[link] [comments]

from Siya namkela nonke | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2SZ1axk
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments